Flying Dog Brewery Needs A Packaging Manager
In all of our years working with Craft Beer, one thing we have learned, there is never a dull story when talking about the founding of a craft brewery. Flying Dog Brewery is no exception, in fact it probably takes top prize!
Founded in 1990 by astrophysicist George Stranahan, Flying Dog Brewery quickly grew from an Aspen brewpub to full brewery when it moved to Denver in 1994. The 50-barrel Denver brewery was distributing to over 31 states.
In May of 2006, after acquiring the Wild Goose brand from the purchase of Frederick Brewing Company, Flying Dog Brewery moved production to Frederick, Maryland and took off like a, well you know…like a flying dog! By January of 2008 the Maryland facility was handling almost 70% of Flying Dog’s beer production.
The Name ‘Flying Dog’
The story that became legend started in 1983 when Flying Dog founders George Stranahan and Richard McIntyre ascended the infamous K2 mountain in the Himalayas, the second highest peak on the planet Earth. Armed with alcohol, a donkey and a Sherpa, they (with a group of their closest friends) started the treacherous climb. Around day 17 of the 35 day climb, alcohol, donkey and Sherpa were all gone! They know what happened to the alcohol, but donkey and Sherpa are still on the back of a Himalayan milk carton.
On day 17 of a 35-day trip, we totally ran out of booze. – George Stranahan
Fast forward past the 35th day, George and Richard are sitting at the Hotel Flashman in Pindi filling their quota of alcohol. In front of them was a painting of , you guessed it, a ‘Flying Dog’. The image and experience stuck and Flying Dog Brewery was born.
Flying Dog Job Listing: Packaging Manager
Craft Beer Job Location: Frederick, Maryland
Craft Beer Job Category: Operations
Craft Beer Job Summary:
The Packaging Manager will be responsible for development and implementation of processes, projects, and training efforts that drive continuous and sustained improvements in packaging operations. Additionally thePackaging Manager has direct responsibility in leading the hourly production team in the departments day-to-day operations. Reporting to this position are Packaging Leads and Operators.
Packaging Manager Job Responsibilities:
- Daily support to achieve packaging department goals
- Lead daily packaging meetings to review safety, responsibilities & results
- Developing execution plans and seeing them through to completion
- Optimize process improvements and initiatives
- Provide support for shop floor
- Manage and mentor packaging leadership team
The overall nature of the position requires light physical exertion with constant minimal or sedentary style work. There is frequent exposure to extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature changes, industrial noises, and occasional exposure to wet conditions.
Packaging Manager Minimum Qualifications:
- Must have brewery or other production experience
- Technical experience with packaging equipment or similar packaging systems
- 2+ years of demonstrated leadership experience
- Shop Floor supervisory/leadership experience
- Demonstrated problem solving/analytical ability
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team building skills
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in a collaborative team environment
- Highly effective multi-tasker; resourceful with a ‘get-it-done, can-do’ attitude
- Able to impact and effect positive change with a flexible, open-minded, positive approach
- Competent in using Microsoft Office
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the candidate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
How can you become part of our truly unique and twisted establishment? Click the below link. If you meet the requirements, follow the instructions and apply as soon as humanly (and humanely) possible.
Like what you see? Want to Apply? Click HERE!
Wonder What It Would Be Like To Work At Flying Dog?
Never miss us!
Receive Craft Beverage Jobs Posts via Email