Assistant Brewer - Full-Time - Immediate Opening
Stable Craft Brewing is a farm brewery located in Augusta County, Va. The brewery opened its doors in May 2016 and began distributing with Blue Ridge Beverage in August 2016. The brewery has been experiencing steady growth over the past two years.
We brew on a 10 bbl direct fire system with six 10-bbl and four 20-bbl fermentation vessels with associated brite tanks. We also have a ½ bbl pilot system for cultivating creative recipes and small batch releases.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
- Report to Head Brewer and Operations Director
- Assume the day-to-day responsibilities of the Head Brewer when working separate shifts or in the Head Brewer’s absence for professional and/or personal reasons (i.e. festivals, competitions, vacation, etc.)
- Perform tank, wortway and packaging line CIPs
- Filter or centrifuge beer
- Dry hop beer
- Carbonate beer
- Take daily gravities, evaluate fermentation progress and schedule future tasks based on status of fermentations
- Maintain cellar records, such as brew logs and weekly cooler inventory reports
- Conduct Quality Assurance and Quality Control work, including gravity, cell counts, sampling, yeast dumps and pH checks
- Harvest and pitch yeast
- Clean kegs and casks
- Fill kegs and casks
- Work on the bottling line
- Clean the brewery facilities
- Clean and maintain the keg washing and milling areas
- Maintain orderly inventory of malt, hops and other brewing supplies as needed
- Assist in maintaining inventory of brewery supplies and ingredients
- Assist with maintenance and overall cleanliness of entire brewery and cellar, including tank exteriors and floors
- Educate tasting room staff
- Appear and be engaged at inside and outside events, festivals and competitions
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education, Experience and Skills
- Flexible schedule to work day, night, graveyard, holiday and weekend shifts
- Ability to work at least 8+ hour shifts
- 1 or 2 years of production brewing experience
- Brewing and industry certifications preferred (i.e. Cicerone)
- Industry references
- Strong understanding of brewing science
- Strong understanding of brewing process and procedures best practices
- Strong mechanical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. Must be comfortable speaking with someone one-on-one as well as presenting to large groups.
- Experience and familiarity with Google applications, such as Docs, Sheets and Slides preferred but not required
Physical Position Requirements
The Assistant Brewer works primarily in a manufacturing environment, working in, on and around vessels and pipes under pressure containing air, CO2, water, beer, chemicals, steam and hazardous materials. The nature of the position requires one to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, as well as to ascend and descend a staircase repeatedly throughout the shift. The brewer will do a significant amount of walking and work on wet, slippery surfaces. The brewer may encounter some level of dust from the handling of malt raw materials, will be frequently exposed to strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and will be occasionally exposed to caustic and acidic chemicals. The brewer will be expected to handle objects weighing up to 170 pounds occasionally and/or objects weighing up to 55 pounds frequently. The employee in this position must be able to operate a forklift.
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be based on experience. Benefits include: paid time off and training/continued education expenses.
Company is currently expanding benefits: health insurance, 401K and PTO