The Corporate Barista / Beverage Category Specialist will work for MZB's coffee Away From Home Division, which spans foodservice, the workplace, and convenience. The person in this role will be recognized as a coffee expert, corporate barista, mixologist, and brand ambassador.
We’re looking for someone who is as passionate about coffee and espresso as we are! If you have experience as a barista and are looking to get into a corporate environment working in marketing for one of the largest fully integrated global coffee groups in the world, please check out our job description below.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, primary responsibilities include the development and implementation of MZB-USA’s specialty beverage programs (including menu development) and will support the Sales and Field Marketing teams in building customer relationships while ensuring that MZB-USA brands and products are presented in ways that deliver a strong value proposition. Other activities include the development and implementation of operational standards, training, and creating processes and procedures that will drive consistency and growth.
Essential job functions encompass culinary expertise, customer relations, and sales support/specialty beverage and equipment training.
- Become the expert of MZB-USA products and equipment (espresso machines and brewers), its merchandising programs, and operator business economics related to the beverage category and foodservice beverage trends
- Transfer this expertise to Sales and train for adherence to operational standards
- Develop specialty beverage menus for key accounts and MZB-USA’s portfolio
- Understand emerging and declining beverage trends, including drink types and flavors, utilizing Mintel, NPD, Crest, and others in order to determine needs within our business strategy and capabilities
- Monitor and stay current with brewing technology, roasts, blends, brew recipes, and equipment innovations; present findings and make recommendations as to applications to the business
- Establish and maintain optimal standards for recipes and brewing methods for all MZB-USA products
- Create and present LTO calendars to brand manager for café and foodservice accounts
- Maintain competitive product reviews
- Attend and support industry events, trade shows, and customer visits as needed
- Perform culinary product application tests as needed for key customers
Customer Relations (Business Development):
- Develop relationships directly with key customer beverage teams and key decision-makers; participate in strategic business reviews with major accounts; support account retention
- Evaluate customer objectives, and provide solutions to generate add-on sales and profits
- Create and present recommended product, equipment, and product merchandising solutions with accounts to ensure standards of brand and profitability are achieved
- Work collaboratively with MZB-USA Sales and Marketing to grow sales and profitability through existing account development
- Manage and participate in effective communication, training, and relationship development with end-user and distributor account representatives to include “train-the-trainer” activities and distributor sales meetings
- Collaborate in account targeting and planning in conjunction with sales leadership to support winning new business
Sales Support & Training:
- Attend and participate in key industry and customer events as needed
- Communicate directly with key customers and their culinary and/or R&D teams to provide inputs and guidance of their coffee programs
- Lead assigned culinary and/or barista presentations ensuring seamless execution through adequate planning, organization, and communication
- Develop new product and menu concepts for assigned accounts
- Demonstrate key knowledge of customer operations, menus, goals, and objectives by segment
- Establish the MZB-USA “Product & Equipment Program,” in collaboration with Equipment & Services Manager
- Train, coach, monitor, and develop Sales team to help improve sales performance as it relates to operational standards
- Barista Guild Certification, Levels 1-3
- Golden Cup Technician Certificate – strongly preferred
- Bartending Certification(s) a plus
Skills & Experience:
- Requires Barista or culinary experience and experience in the coffee industry
- Marketing background and / or college degree strongly preferred
- Strong communication, writing, and listening skills
- Ability to lead and train with a passion and appreciation for high-end coffee and specialty beverages
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams in a highly professional manner
- Must have an understanding of Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Proficient using social media platforms
This position offers a bonus and great benefits.