Head Brewer - Full-Time - Immediate Opening
Stable Craft Brewing is a farm brewery located in Augusta County, Va. The brewery opened its doors in May 2016 and began distributing with Blue Ridge Beverage in August 2016. The brewery has been experiencing steady growth over the past two years.
We brew on a 10 bbl direct fire system with six 10-bbl and four 20-bbl fermentation vessels with associated brite tanks. We also have a ½ bbl pilot system for cultivating creative recipes and small batch releases.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
- Raw materials management (i.e. ordering materials, checking inventory levels, researching new materials when necessary)
- Sanitary yeast propagation and pitching
- Accurate measurement of key quality parameters, including pH, gravity, CO2 and DO levels
- Wort creation, including all prep work, milling, brewing and clean-up
- Brewhouse CIP on all vessels and wortway/heat exchange line (includes safe chemical handling practices)
- Fermentation management
- Conditioning, packaging and batch record-keeping. Record-keeping will be for internal and external purposes. External purposes include Virginia ABC and TTB.
- Cleaning and maintenance of the brewery and brewing equipment
- Beer recipe creation and duplication
- Management of brewery department employees
- Education of tasting room staff
- Appearances and engagement at inside and outside events, festivals and competitions
- Collaborate with marketing and creative departments regularly
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Head Brewer must adhere to all relevant company standard operating procedures. They must regularly communicate with the operations director, tasting room manager and creative director to keep these managers of other departments informed of the activities in the brewery and any issues that may arise. The brewer is, ultimately, accountable for meeting the production goals, bi-monthly distribution orders and objectives set by the operations director.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Flexible schedule to work day, night, graveyard, holiday and weekend shifts
- Ability to work at least 8+ hour shifts
- Bachelor’s degree or 2 or 3 years of production brewing experience
- Brewing and industry certifications preferred (i.e. Cicerone)
- Industry references
- Strong understanding of brewing science
- Strong understanding of brewing process and procedures best practices
- Strong mechanical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. Must be comfortable speaking with someone one-on-one as well as presenting to large groups.
- Experience and familiarity with Google applications, such as Docs, Sheets and Slides preferred but not required
Physical Position Requirements
The Head Brewer works primarily in a manufacturing environment, working in, on and around vessels and pipes under pressure containing air, CO2, water, beer, chemicals, steam and hazardous materials. The nature of the position requires one to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, as well as to ascend and descend a staircase repeatedly throughout the shift. The brewer will do a significant amount of walking and work on wet, slippery surfaces. The brewer may encounter some level of dust from the handling of malt raw materials, will be frequently exposed to strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and will be occasionally exposed to caustic and acidic chemicals. The brewer will be expected to handle objects weighing up to 170 pounds occasionally and/or objects weighing up to 55 pounds frequently. The employee in this position must be able to operate a forklift.
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be based on experience. Benefits include: paid time off and training/continued education expenses.
Company is currently expanding benefits: health insurance, 401K and PTO