BAPBAP stands for Brassée à Paris, Bue à Paris which means literally, Brewed in Paris, Drunk in Paris. For obvious reasons we’d rather translate it into Born in Paris, Beloved in Paris (and beyond!). We are a French craft brewery located in the center of Paris, near Place de la République and the Oberkampf neighbourhood (well known for its night life).
We are passionate about beer, a product that we discovered while living abroad in two countries with great beer cultures: the US (New York) and Germany (Frankfurt). Back in France we decided to launch our own brewery, to promote the craftbeer values and to try to put Paris on the beer map. Our brewery is quite unique, installed in an old early XXth century cast iron warehouse. Inside, we design, create and brew all our recipes (5 permanent brews, about 6 seasonal annually). Quality, creativity, diversity, balance, drinkability are at the core of our mission to promote the craft beer revolution in Paris and beyond!
We condition our beers in kegs and bottles (maybe in cans in the future) and sell them in good restaurants, bars, delicatessen shops, bottle shop... Our brewery is open to Parisians, should they live here or are just visiting the City of Lights: they can all discover how we brew, and taste our beers.
We launched our brewery in December 2014, with our first batch in march 2015. In 2016, we brewed 1,700hl. Last year we brewed 2,700Hl. And this year we should reach the 4,500Hl mark. In September 2018, we will receive new fermenting tanks allowing us to have a total capacity of 8,000Hl/year. We are also currently working on our 2nd production facility (bigger than the current one), that we hope to open end 2019/beginning 2020.
We are looking for a beer fanatic to become our Head Brewer to manage production in the original brewery and to help us design and launch this new brewing facility. Our brewer will be in charge of managing the production crew, creating and producing awesome quality beers, within both traditional (pale ale, IPA, wheat, etc.) and less conventional styles. We are looking for an enthusiastic beer lover, willing to share his hoppy passion and someone open to collaborating with other breweries. Our ideal Head Brewer will be a great team player and share our vision of the beer revolution needed for Paris.
The Head Brewer will oversee all aspects of beer production for the company, from raw material sourcing to packaging. Production and conditioning will be done on premises on our own equipment. High quality, safety and hygiene standards will be mandatory, with a goal of producing great beers with a high regularity in taste and quality.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creating recipes. Lots of latitude will be given to create tasty versions of multiple craft beer styles as well as working with the team or other breweries to develop great beers.
- Brewing operations. Responsible for managing supply and inventory for all production, brewing, quality control, packaging and all brew house operations.
- Quality control & procedures. Design (or review existing) quality control documents and implement all related quality process, and SOPs (Standard operating procedure), including: cleaning/CIP, CCPs (Critical Control Point), KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), HACCP, and all quality metrics needed to produce beer to internal and external specifications.
- Training: the Head Brewer will be in charge of training and sharing his craftbeer knowledge to all BAPBAP staff (Sales, Marketing, Packaging, Maintenance, Delivery, etc.). Each year, all BAPBAP employees spend a day with the production team, brewing and conditioning. The goal is for everyone to have fun, get to know each other and most importantly better understand our product, to better promote the craft beer revolution in Paris.
- Hire necessary production staff to meet (our ever growing) demand.
- Work closely with founders, coordinating timing of capacity and equipment upgrade.
- Community outreach. Participate in festivals, forums and public relations activities on behalf of the company. The Head Brewer will be a key figure for BAPBAP, a real ambassador for the brewery internally and externally.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
We would like to partner with an experienced craft brewer with the following qualifications to lead the brewing operations for the company:
- University degree in Chemistry, Brewing, Distilling or another relevant field. Recognized brewing qualifications, certifications or other education preferred, although experience will substitute for formal degrees or certifications in brewing science.
- Passionate about design, production and sale of amazing beers. Awards or other recognition for your beers are a plus. Ability to work across styles for recipe formulation.
- Minimum 3-year experience working in a brewery, preferably overseeing multiple functions including: brewing, packaging, quality control, ingredients ordering/inventory management and planning. Solid references needed.
- Demonstrated ability to take on leadership responsibility for overseeing a staff as well as all functions of a production facility.
- English speaking is mandatory, French speaking will be a plus (we are proud of our language).
ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Must be a flexible contributor to our small team and willing to work outside of normal business hours when required.
- Able to manage the production team (4 persons at the end of the year)
- Must be able to handle the demands and rigors of working in a brewery
- Able to lift 25kg malt bags or 42kg Stainless steel Kegs.
- Able to work on your feet for 8-12 hours per day
- Must be organized, able to multitask with great scheduling/prioritizing skills
- Must be fully autonomous, responsible and work effectively independently
- This is a full-time position.
- Compensation will match applicant’s experience and education
- 5 weeks paid vacation.
If you are interested please go to : https://www.welcometothejungle.co/companies/bapbap/jobs/brasseur-en-chef-head-brewer_paris
Scroll down and on the upperright corner click on the POSTULER button to send your CV and answer to 5 questions.