Motivated and educationally driven, with a primary career focus on helping and educating customers. My values revolve around achievement and relationships. I am drawn to a sense of accomplishment which is reinforced by serving others and working with excellent people. I continue to educate myself, whether that is in the brewing industry, networking, or personal development.
Currently I am attending the Diploma Master Brewer Program at the World Brewing Academy in Chicago, IL and Munich, GR. I am seeking a brewery that I can learn and grow with. My background is from the Financial Industry and I am in a career transition to follow my passion in the craft beer. Working in Colorado is a preference of mine but I am open to relocation.
Learned advanced brewing knowledge for first 7-weeks of the 20-week program at Siebel Institute of Technology in Chicago, which included:
•Barley cultivation technology, processing, and enzymology of barley varieties
•Malting technology and malt sensory “ASBC Hot Steep Sensory Method” while visiting Briess Malting & Ingredients in Chilton, WI
•Brewing water management and how to influence beer profiles
•Mashing theory and decoction method
•Hop cultivation, processing, and how alpha acids biochemically influence bitterness in beer
•Positive and negative effects of alternative fermentables in producing beer
•Lautering, filtering, temperature control, and clarification techniques that influence wort concentration factors such as: vitamin cofactors, protein content, fermentable sugars, and finished beer character
•Brewer’s yeast microbiology, morphology, nutrition, metabolism, propagation, flavor creation, and physical behavior
•Detecting microorganism contaminants, non-brewer’s yeast testing methods, and beer spoilage control factors
•Small to large scale brewhouse product control such as: packaging process, Clean In Place (CIP), beer filtration, kegging systems, process control automation, and vessel system technology
•Sensory training including: hop rub evaluation, triangle beer panel,
Following Chicago, travel to Doemens Academy in Munich, GR, where I applied my academic training to practical:
•3-weeks of practical experience, including:
•Small, mid, and large scale brewing systems
•Laboratory testing: yeast propagation and microorganism containment control
•Horizontal plate filtering beer
After the 3-weeks of practical and more theory, commence on the European Study Tour to have industry professionals expose me to international brewing technology throughout Europe including:
•Barley and malting technology at Weyermann Malting in Bamberg, GR
•Pilsner Urquell in Pilsn, Czech Republic, brewing process and brewhouse management
•Bierkulinarium dinner in Austria
•Visit to Brau Beviale in Nuremburg, GR
To complete the Master Brewer Program, an additional 8-weeks of advanced-level practice and theory conducted at Doemens Academy, including:
•Advanced beer production techniques
•Brewhouse operations of various sizes
· Worked closely with management to help coordinate summer brewery events around the Denver Area.
· Assisted tours of the brewery, including the 4-Vessel brewhouse and cellaring equipment
· Event activities: Setting up tent, tables, marketing material, beer chilling, serving and educating patrons on brewery history and culture.
· Worked closely with co-owner on distribution quotas and effectively serving retail and local liquor stores in and around Northern Colorado (Fort Collins, Loveland, Longmont, Greeley, Thornton).
· Multi-tasking activity, filling incoming orders, tracking outgoing inventory, and providing the best quality product in a timely manner to our customers.
· Duties also include: stacking pallets with finished product, setting up events, and creating relationships with customers.
· Traveled Northern Colorado to promote a select line of MillerCoors beverages
· Trained monthly on new products and methods of customer engagement.
· Built relationships with store management, employees, and beverage distributors throughout the Front Range (Fort Collins, Loveland, Longmont, Greeley, Thornton).
· Educated customers on appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and finish of new and old beverage lines.