Noted freelance writer and editor Gerard Walen has specialized in chronicling the growing craft beer industry, with a focus on the booming Florida scene, for the past five years. He is seeking a full-time career in the craft brewing world, sharing the stories of a brewery or company to increase its exposure in a increasingly crowded niche industry.
Marketing Administrator and Brewery Tour Guide (part-time)
November 2015 to present, Marker 48 Brewing, Weeki Wachee, Florida
- Cultivate coverage and placement of brewery news and events in some of the nation’s leading industry publications such as All About Beer, Beer Advocate and Craftbeer.com, as well as local media.
- Guide weekend behind-the-scenes brewery tours.
- Represent brewery at local and national beer industry events.
- Write and format news releases and disburse them to specific traditional and online media influencers on an as-needed basis.
- Manage brewery’s Twitter account and contribute to its other social media platforms.
Multimedia Copy Editor
September 2015 to present, The Gainesville Sun and Ocala Star-Banner, Gainesville, Florida
- Ensure the content and appearance of the print and digital products is of the highest quality for the readers of The Gainesville Sun, the Ocala Star-Banner, gainesville.com and ocala.com.
- Act as a real-time liaison between the Florida newspapers and the GateHouse Media Center for News and Design in Austin, Texas.
- Earned certifications from The Poynter Institute for Digital Newsgathering and for Social Media Strategy.
February 2004 to present. Owner of Gelegra Media LLC, Florida.
- Author of “Florida Breweries,” (Stackpole Books, April 1, 2014) a travel guidebook to the state’s 66-plus breweries.
- Founder and editor of BeerInFlorida.com website and its associated Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media accounts. Manage website and marketing affiliate accounts, write majority of copy, edit guest posts, and shoot and edit videos, photos, and graphics.
- Editor of online travel magazine RoadTripsforBeer.com and its associated Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media accounts. Manage website and marketing affiliate accounts, write majority of copy, edit guest posts, and shoot and edit videos, photos, and graphics.
- Contributing writer for CraftBeer.com.
- Contributing writer for All About Beer magazine.
- Contributing writer and columnist for Beer Advocate magazine.
- Contributing writer for PasteMagazine.com.
- Contributing writer for Yahoo Voices.
- Contributing writer and photographer for South Tampa Patch.com.
- Contributing writer and photographer for AOL Travel.
- Contributing writer and photographer for various Florida print media, including the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and Lake County Focus Magazine.
- Online writer for various Web sites including Ehow.com, Answerbag.com and Trails.com.
- Contracted project writer for the nonprofit Collins Center for Public Policy, based in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Wrote “Hot Topics” feature for Sarasota Herald-Tribune from September 2004 to March 2005. This multimedia feature was designed to stimulate community discussion and debate about issues in the news.
- Contract proofreader for Meredith Books on a project-by-project basis.
- Edited various academic papers and books on a contract basis.
March 2013 to present, Herald-Tribune Media Group, Sarasota, Fla.
- Update HeraldTribune.com websites Saturday and Sunday mornings, focusing on writing and posting breaking news stories, updating previously posted stories, and adding photos and videos. On Tuesday mornings, transfer stories slated for Health + Fitness section to online niche site on Wordpress platform.
- Manage and update Wordpress-based niche websites as necessary.
- Post links to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and interact with online community.
- Monitor real-time visitor traffic analytics and adjust story positions accordingly.
June 2012 to December 2013, Intellerati, Greater New York City area
- On-call contractor for executive search company based in the New York City area.
- Research backgrounds of potential candidates for executive-level positions at Fortune 100 companies and enter information into database on salesforce.com platform.
- Compile reports on candidates for presentation to clients.
- Proof and edit reports for spelling, grammar and style consistency.
Assistant Business Editor
March 2005 to October 2009. Sarasota Herald-Tribune; Sarasota, Florida.
- Assisted in the management of a business team of 8-10 reporters at a 120,000-circulation daily newspaper in a multimedia (print, Web and TV) newsroom.
- Worked with staff across newsroom departments to ensure deadlines were met for production of the daily Business section.
- Paginated all inside daily business pages and non-centerpiece front. Wrote headlines, captions and other display copy.
- Helped develop online business projects and marketed content through social media channels.
- Posted breaking news on HeraldTribune.com.
- Collaborated with design and photo desks on the look of the daily Business section.
- Edited of all locally produced and wire copy for Business section and front-page stories originating from the business team, as well as weekly business tabloid section, when the business editor is out of the office.
- Monitored business wires, news releases and story budgets, and managed the production of regular business features, such as local business briefs and announcements.
- Dealt as primary phone contact in the Business News department to answer questions from readers, vendors and affiliated newspapers.
- In charge of “Money” page feature in daily section that highlighted personal finance stories and columns
- Edited columns by syndicated and freelance business writers for the daily and weekly business sections.
July 2001 to February 2004. Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Sarasota, Florida.
- Edited staff-generated stories, working with editors and reporters to polish them in a multimedia newsroom.
- Monitored news wires and compiled a daily budget of state news. Compiled and sent a daily budget and staff-written stories to wire services.
- Edited copy for special sections and projects.
September 1999 to July 2001. Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Sarasota, Florida.
- Edited staff-generated stories and wire stories, wrote headlines, photo captions and other display type and proofed pages.
- Headed copy desk on Saturdays for Sunday edition.
- Worked with multiple teams to ensure on-time production of the daily newspaper.
Reporter and Copy Editor
August 1997 to September 1999, Media General newspapers, Tampa, Florida
- Copy editor at Tampa Tribune. Edited staff-generated stories and wire stories, wrote headlines, photo captions and other display type and proofed pages.
- Staff writer, Sunbelt Newspapers, Brandon, Florida. Reported, wrote and photographed stories for chain of weekly, total market coverage, community newspapers. Designed, copy edited and paginated tabloids on a weekly basis.
University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- Bachelor of Arts degree, April 1999, Major: mass communications; GPA: 3.75.
- Kappa Tau Alpha journalism honor society (Top Scholar Award for highest class ranking, 1999); USF Dean's List of Scholars, 1997-99.
- Copy desk chief and correspondent for student newspaper The Oracle
Hillsborough Community College, Tampa, Florida
- Associate in Arts degree, mass communications, December 1996; GPA: 3.62
- Editor in chief, writer and columnist for student newspaper The Hawkeye, as well as Triad and Galeria magazines.
- Los Angeles Times / Associated Collegiate Press 1997 Story of the Year; multiple writing and editing awards from the Florida Community College Press Association.
- Well-versed in social media applications and SEO optimization techniques.
- Experienced with Web Content Management Systems, including WordPress, BlogSmith and Saxotech Publicus. Basic HTML skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Skilled at writing and editing web content, press releases and marketing material.
- Grammar, Associated Press Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style expert.